Recently, the things that are happening in the world have given us all a reminder to take care of ourselves. As we get older, we need to take care of our bodies but also our minds! Did you know that solving tricky riddles is one of the best ways to keep your brain fit and healthy?
Studies have shown that solving tricky riddles like these can have incredible effects. In fact, word puzzles and similar games can keep your brain feeling younger and responding faster. “Experts at the National Institute on Aging agree that some of the most important things you can do each day to promote cognitive health are to eat healthy foods, be physically active, exercise your mind, and stay socially connected.“
If you’re ready to give your brain a good workout and an excellent power boost, try these 15+ tricky riddles on for size! Grab a pencil and a piece of paper to keep track of your answers. We will give you the correct solutions at the end of the article.
15+ Tricky Riddles for Brain Boosting Power
1. 16, 06, 68, 88, ___ , 98. What number fills in the blank?
2. This ancient invention allows people to see through walls. What is the name of this incredible invention?
3. I stay in the corner, but travel around the world. What am I?
4. A woman was born in 1948 but only recently celebrated her 16th birthday. But, how is this possible?
5. Under pressure is the only way I work, and by myself is the only way I’m hurt. So, what am I?
6. I have a tongue, and though I can’t walk, I’m known to get around. What am I?
7. You can’t see me, but I can see through you. What am I?
8. We are two brothers who live on opposite sides of the road, but we never see each other. Who are we?
9. I lose my head in the morning, and get it back at night. What am I?
10. I have a head and a tail, but no arms or legs. What am I?
More Tricky Riddles Continued Below
11. How can a man go 10 days without sleep?
12. If you throw a BLUE stone into the RED sea, what will it become?
13. What goes up and down, but never moves?
14. A basket contains 5 apples. Do you know how to divide them among 5 kids so each one has an apple, and one apple stays in the basket?
15. A is the father of B, but B is not the son of A. How is this possible?
16. 12 apples hanging high, 12 men passing by. Each took an apple and left 11 hanging there. How can this be?
17. The combined age of father and son is 66 years. The age of the father is the age of the son, but with the digits reversed. So, how old are they each?
18. You have 10 fingers on your hands. How many fingers are there on 10 hands?
19. On a bus there is a 26-year-old pregnant woman, a 30-year-old policeman, a 52-year-old woman, and a 65-year-old driver. Who is the youngest on the bus?
20. Two people were playing chess. They both won. How is this possible?
Answers to These Tricky Riddles
So, we know some of these were a bit difficult. That’s the point! In order to give your brain the best workout possible, you really need to stretch those mental muscles. How do you think you did on most of them? Hopefully, you got them all right. If not, that’s okay too! Let’s check the answers to these tricky riddles and see how many you answered correctly.
- The blank number is 78. To reach this answer, just turn the numbers upside down.
- A window is the ancient invention.
- A stamp stays in the corner but travels around the globe.
- Feburary 29th was the woman’s birthday, a leap year.
- A shoe.
- An X-ray can’t be seen but can see through you.
- A pillow.
- A coin has a head and a tail but no arms or legs. (Also acceptable is a snake.)
- He only sleeps at night.
- The stone will become wet.
- The temperature goes up and down but never moves.
- 4 kids each get one apple, and the 5th kid gets the basket with one apple inside.
- Because B is a daughter, not a son.
- “Each” was the naame of one of the men passing by.
- There are three possible answers for this riddle. A] The father is 60, the son is 6. B] The father is 51, the son is 15. C] The father is 42, the son is 24.
- There are 50 fingers on 10 hands.
- The baby of the pregnant woman is the youngest.
- They were playing 2 different games against 2 different people.
So, how well did you do? Was there one riddle that was the most confusing for you? What about the easiest? Let us know in the comments! And, if you enjoyed this selection of brain-teasing tricky riddles, we have some more for you to try out!
- Today’s Challenge: This sly riddle has people confused
- 9 Riddles That Can Boost Your Thinking Skills
- No One Can Solve All 10 Of These Impossible Riddles
- “Working on Puzzles Can Help Your Brain Feel ‘10 Years Younger’” Healthline. Jim Pietrangelo. August 4, 2017.