You know how important physical fitness is, but mental fitness is just as important! Keeping your brain sharp also contributes to your overall health. So practicing daily mental fitness exercises will keep your body and brain happy and healthy for years to come. All you need is about 20 minutes every day to dedicate to giving your brain a workout. After all, if you can spend 20 minutes watching a TV program or browsing social media, you can certainly do a few brain teasers.
We’re going to share a few of the best metal fitness brain teasers we could find. The number one tip to remember when doing these kinds of exercises is to give your brain a chance to really think about the problem. The solution isn’t always the first one you think it is! When you think you have the answers, scroll down to see if yours match the correct solution.
6 Mental Fitness Riddles to Boost your Brain
- A man built a square house where all four sides were facing south. If a bear walked past, what color would it be?
- How many 5-letter words can you create by rearranging the letters in the word ‘FITNESS?’
- What number follows this pattern, and why? 2, 5, 8, 14…
- Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
- What is yours but mostly used by others?
- Take a close look at the photo below. What’s wrong with it?
Take your time with these brain teasers and think about the possible answers. They are intended to give your brain a good workout, so they won’t be as easy as you might think. According to a study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, there are some mental fitness exercises that can boost something called “fluid intelligence.” Fluid intelligence is the ability to reason and solve new problems. Basically, the more you do, the better you get! It’s just like with any other part of your body you train, practice makes perfect.
Okay, let’s take a look at the answers to those riddles above and see how well you did!
Answers to Riddles
- A man built a square house where all four sides were facing south. If a bear walked past, what color would it be? The bear would be white. If all the sides are facing south, you are at the North Pole! Which means polar bears.
- How many 5-letter words can you create by rearranging the letters in the word ‘FITNESS?’ There is no perfect answer to this one, but the official number of 5 letter words you could make from “FITNESS” is 19. (feint, feist, fests, fines, fists, inset, neifs, neist, nests, nites, seifs, senti, sifts, sines, sites, snits, stein, sites, tines)
- What number follows this pattern, and why? 2, 5, 8, 14… The next number is 23. You increase the sum of the previous numbers by 1. (2 + 5 = 7; 7 + 1 = 8) (5 + 8 = 13; 13 + 1 = 14) (8 + 14 = 22; 22 + 1 = 23)
- Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. Boxing!
- What is yours but mostly used by others? Your name!
- The ‘S’ is missing in “Mistake”
So, how did you do? If you enjoyed this, you will love these other mental fitness exercises as well!