Riddles are a great way to make our brains think in unusual and creative ways. There are hardly any exercises for our brain that are more effective than these puzzles. In fact, as will all exercise, mental exercise also has health benefits. This includes boosting memory skills, preventing brain shrinkage from age, as well as improving connections between brain cells.
As such, here are 20 fun ways of making your brain work out which are sure to keep you entertained:
1. Charles, while playing with his book, tore pages numbered 7, 8, 100, 101, 222, and 223. How many pages were torn?
2. You have 3 keys that open 3 different gates. What is the minimum number of tries you will need to open all 3 gates?
3. Nick promised his wife he would be home by 9, but he returned at 9.05. The wife was furious even though there were no special plans canceled. Why?
4. John fell from a 20-ft tall ladder, but he was unscathed. How?
5. Jake is sitting in a cabin in Michigan. After 3 hours, he exits the cabin in Texas. How?
6. A little boy is on an errand and buys 12 tomatoes. However, while returning, all but 9 tomatoes are mushed. How many tomatoes are still fine?
7. First, I threw away the outside and then cooked the inside. Then, I ate the outside and threw away the inside. What did I eat?
8. When you don’t have me, you don’t want me. But when you do have me, you do not want to lose me. What am I?
9. If you take off my skin, you will cry instead of me. What am I?
10. I am as big as a lion but I don’t weigh anything. What am I?
11. Where can you complete reading a book without completing a sentence?
12. A rooster lays its egg on a sloped roof. Which way will the egg roll?
13. Jeremy dropped a raw egg from a height onto a concrete floor but it did not crack. How is that possible?
14. I spend all my time on the ground but never get dirty. What am I?
15. This word looks the same even if it is upside down. What is the word?
16. A bus driver goes the wrong way on a one-way street. However, the police do not say or do anything even after seeing him do so. Why?
17. I have a lot of holes but I can still hold a lot of water. What am I?
18. The more you take of me, the more of me you will leave behind. What am I?
19. Trevor pointed to a boy playing on the street and said, “He is the son of my grandmother’s only child.” Who is the boy to Trevor?
20. A woman drove from San Francisco to Chicago over 3 days. When she arrived in Chicago, she found that one of her tires was punctured. How did she manage to complete the drive?
The Answers To The Riddles
Are you ready with your answers? If any of the riddles are still giving you trouble, go back and try once more!
If you are satisfied, then here are the real answers:
|1. 3 Pages. 7-8, 100-101, and 222-223 are sides of the same page.|
|2. 6 attempts. First key: 3 attempts for 3 gates. Second key: 2 attempts for 2 gates. The final key for the final gate.|
|3. Nick promised to be home by 9 PM. He returned home the next morning at 9.05 AM.|
|4. He was on the lowest rung.|
|5. He is the pilot in the cabin of a plane flying from Michigan to Texas.|
|6. 9 tomatoes|
|7. A corn cob|
|8. A lawsuit|
|9. An onion|
|10. A lion’s shadow|
|12. Roosters don’t lay eggs, hens do|
|13. It does not matter because a concrete floor rarely cracks|
|14. A shadow|
|16. The driver is walking and not driving a bus.|
|17. A sponge|
|19. He is Trevor’s brother. Trevor’s grandmother’s only child is his Mother or Father|
|20. The punctured tire was a spare tire|
So how many of them did you manage to answer correctly? Let us know in the comments below! Also, be sure to share the riddles with your friends and family if you enjoyed them!
Here are some more riddles and puzzles that can provide a fun and enjoyable mental exercise: